Author Topic: ExpanD&D: Homebrew content  (Read 10880 times)

storymaker

• Developer
  • Average
  • Let me tell you a tale.
    • View Profile
Re: ExpanD&D: Homebrew content
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2017, 06:53:36 PM »
Just had to look at my schedule. Yeah, get me three to five players and a time slot that isn't 5:30 to 8:30 eastern, and I do have room for a game on Wednesdays to use these rules.

I could use Discord to talk at people and people can either use text or talk back at me.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 06:58:29 PM by storymaker »

adsein

• Fat
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2017, 07:24:40 PM »
I'd  be up for it, I'd be responding via text for reference
Profile art from:http://gain-over.deviantart.com

storymaker

• Developer
  • Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2017, 09:16:25 PM »
When I get home from work, which admittedly is 2 or 3 a.m. my time, I will put up a thread in tabletop General giving the general idea of the campaign, what style of game I run, my house rules and ground rules, and then potential times and potential players.

Maralei

• Emaciated
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2017, 09:24:14 PM »
Depending on the specific timeslot I may be able to play in your game as well and would be interested in doing so.

SizableSnivy

• Fat
  • Shy and Squishy. Talk to me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2017, 11:04:18 PM »
Well, I could probably make it if it's before 5:30 PM, assuming that's what you meant...
If.... If that'sss okay with y-you...

Gonkulous

• Chubby
  • Roll to save vs. Fats
    • View Profile
    • Mutants and Masterminds character
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2017, 01:22:02 AM »
I'd also be interested, though I'm afraid I would be another text-reply person. If you have the space, I'd be all for it!

firesoul10

• Fat
  • Belly Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2017, 02:39:02 AM »
A quick question on the Bulk limit rules- since my group's character generation's put up some numbers that have concerned a couple people.

A character's bulk threshold is calculated similarly, but not quite the same, as their Carrying capacity, or more specifically, their Push, lift, and drag capacity. Multiply the combination of the character's Strength and Constitution scores by 30 to determine their Bulk limit.

Now, I read that as Sum of STR and CON Scores. My Barbarian has 15 apiece, so that means a combined total of 30. 30 x 30 = 900.

So my level 1 character would be able to be up to 899lbs and not feel any ill effects from her weight, right?

I understand why Scores are being used, otherwise mages and the like would have Bulk thresholds like 0, which just doesn't work.

Though perhaps you meant "Multiply the average of the character's Strength and Constitution scores by 30 to determine their Bulk limit."?

Because if that were true, my Barbarian would start having difficulties at 450 pounds, with compounding issues until Immobility at the old 900 number. It sounds more realistic, at least, though having not played yet, I have no idea of the gain pace besides a basic understanding of your Diet Point system... which makes it look like the rate of gain could be fairly slow.

Just my cursory thoughts before my group dives into this thing. Testing will tell whether or not I'm crazy.  :P

storymaker

• Developer
  • Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2017, 03:10:53 AM »
So, that is definitely a read on it. I had intentionally wanted the bulk limits to be high, because with the rate of magic and ability gaming, it would not be infeasible to reach very high numbers very quickly, and this is a fantasy setting, where you have already rather heavy races like Goliath and minotaurs, and I did not want them to be particularly hinder just for their race. I could see a smaller bulb scale, and play testing may decide that if it's not super impactful I may need one, but I also like the idea of a Mobility being a distant threat in case you go very overboard, rather than something you have to worry about every day. As for the rate of natural game, that is intentionally slow. It's there to accentuate that gaining weight naturally is not incredibly fast, whereas magic does things very quickly. Once I have time to play with the numbers myself in a game, there may be some changes made. Forgive any weird Spelling's in this block of text, as I have been dictating into my phone.

And of course, if you and your players decide that my vision: a setting where very heavy characters can still be feasible adventurous, and only start being hindered by their weight at very high weights or with very low stats, is not the kind of setting you on, but rather you would prefer one where a character's weight is a more significant immediate hindrance, you are welcome to use a modified system if you desire. That is the rule of GM Fiat

In fact, I might include some calculations for a gritty realism variant on the bulk system. I'll probably work on that when I get home as well.

Thought they just ran through my head, because two scores are being added together, I could probably reduce the multiplication to * 15 and still get reasonably large numbers on high scores, while still keeping the threat present. I may do that 4 the regular bulk system and then at a gritty realism that uses the average instead of the sum times 15 as well.

Yet another addendum, I just realized at the larger and heavier races off and have powerful build, which lets them increase their carrying capacity. I could just add in the note that that also applies to bulk threshold as well

Wow I went back and read this post. Hopefully someone can actually make sense of what my phone thinks I'm saying. If not, you'll see the results of my work when I get done updating tonight. It won't be till after I'm home from work.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 04:23:54 AM by storymaker »

Maralei

• Emaciated
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2017, 05:24:04 AM »
That certainly does sound better fr the more down to earth game I'm running, although I am wondering how the Sated Fist Monk's ability would factor into the gritty rules, if so, as I would like to use the grittier rules but do have one in my game.

storymaker

• Developer
  • Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2017, 07:15:40 AM »
I mean, magic kind of throws gritty rules out the window. If your sated fist monken's up too fat too quick, you're probably going to want a cleric with burn fat to get them slim down.

storymaker

• Developer
  • Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2017, 07:42:38 AM »
Alright, changes have been made to the Bulk rules to tone down the upper limits and added a gritty realism option to tone it down even further.

Maralei

• Emaciated
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2017, 07:56:30 AM »
Alright, changes have been made to the Bulk rules to tone down the upper limits and added a gritty realism option to tone it down even further.

One of my players has pointed out that your "gritty realism" rules are a bit TOO gritty. Their cleric has a strength of 11 and a constitution of 16, which puts them at an average of 14. Ultimately under this ruleset they would be immobile at a large but not absurdly so 400 pounds.

storymaker

• Developer
  • Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2017, 08:17:53 AM »
That's fair. However I believe that doing it as Average*30 and Sum*15 actually puts you at around the same numbers. In fact Average*30 is a bit larger.

Would Average*25 work better? That'd put your cleric at roughly 700 pounds for immobility, and cuts the standard threshold by about 50 pounds for base hindrance.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 08:23:55 AM by storymaker »

storymaker

• Developer
  • Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2017, 08:24:36 AM »
Alright, for those of you interested in my own campaign, there's a thread up in Tabletop general. Give me a reply to confirm if the campaign style and the timeslot work for you or not.

Beraxillia

• Emaciated
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2017, 08:56:45 AM »
I cant wait to find out what you're planing for the other classes. between the Nom-barian, Gaseous Sorcerer, the Hedonism Cleric, I'm excited to find out what's gonna be done for Paladin!