Author Topic: RPG Maker Questions, Answers, and Tutorials  (Read 1597 times)

PeachClamNine

• Chubby
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
RPG Maker Questions, Answers, and Tutorials
« on: November 02, 2016, 12:02:40 AM »
Here you can ask any questions you have about making a Weight Gain themed game in RPG Makers! (Be sure and specify what version you are using.)

If you want to show off your skills, you may also post tutorials to show other people how to do a certain thing.

PeachClamNine

• Chubby
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
Re: RPG Maker Questions, Answers, and Tutorials
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 12:07:16 AM »
And we've officially hit the point where I'm lost! Even before we get to the scripting, I don't know what it means by "star sprites".

I have a lot to learn before I actually make anything, the demo I made just has the basics in it, for the sake of my learning.

A 'Star Tile' is a specifically marked tile in RPG Maker VX Ace. It lets characters and the player walk behind the tile, instead of in front of it. It is useful for making tree-tops and light post, or a bridge the player could walk under.

The default tilesets has a few tiles already marked as 'Star'. Here is what they look like in the editor:

chillmistressfreia

• Average
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 12:00:53 PM »
I think I'm gonna ask another question, just because I can't get a satisfying answer through searching the internet.

If I want to make a very large sprite as an event, and display the whole thing at once, how would I go about that?

The $ flag on a file name only makes RPG Maker VX Ace use each approximate 1/3x1/4 of the file at a time, animating it like a character when it moves.

PeachClamNine

• Chubby
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 05:12:21 PM »
If I want to make a very large sprite as an event, and display the whole thing at once, how would I go about that?

The $ flag on a file name only makes RPG Maker VX Ace use each approximate 1/3x1/4 of the file at a time, animating it like a character when it moves.

This is where the limitations of the engine start to creep up...

The way we make large events that don't move, like doors, or '$BigMonster1's is by placing our image in 1/12th the space of a sprite sheet. 3 across, 4 down. You then place an event, and in the event editor window, select the image in your sprite sheet. In the little 'Graphics' pane it should show your sprite. Then in the Options pane (directly below the Graphics) you must uncheck 'Walking Animation' and check "Direction Fix' so the sprite cannot move.

This is a big waste of sprite sheet space, but you can put multiple big sprites on the same sheet and reuse those. Take a look how $BigMonster1 and $BigMonster2 are laid out.

PeachClamNine

• Chubby
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 06:40:09 PM »
Q: How do I run an RPG Maker MV game on my Linux / Mac / Tablet / smart-frdge?

A: If running Game.exe doesn't work, you can open the 'www' folder and run the 'index.html' file in your favorite web browser. The games work with touch / mouse controls just fine, in case your refrigerator doesn't have a keyboard.

gamerjohn1991

• Chubby
  • Nintendo Gamer/WG Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 02:46:17 AM »
How do I make bigger characters in the Lite version of RPG Maker?

PeachClamNine

• Chubby
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 06:04:12 PM »
How do I make bigger characters in the Lite version of RPG Maker?

The same way you do in the full version of RPG Maker VX Ace. Select 'Tools' > 'Resource Manager...' and 'Import..' stuff into 'Graphics/Characters'

bot

• Emaciated
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 08:24:24 PM »
hey you guys seem smart maybe you know how to do this how do you do a mid battle tf via status effect and at the same time invalidate stat increments from equipment

chillmistressfreia

• Average
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 09:18:12 PM »
hey you guys seem smart maybe you know how to do this how do you do a mid battle tf via status effect and at the same time invalidate stat increments from equipment

It will need some tinkering on your end, but I think you can have the battle skill that causes the transformation call a common event and check for a status on the affected character. With the common event, you should be able to de-equip or destroy the equipment that the target of the skill has.

bot

• Emaciated
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 09:39:36 PM »
thanks for the fast reply im still learnng rpgmaker and asking people how stuff works and them telling me is easyer then trying to learn from a text book cus then you can ask what went wrong and get help

gamerjohn1991

• Chubby
  • Nintendo Gamer/WG Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 04:26:32 AM »
Why did the Lite version of RPG Maker disappear from the RPG Maker website?

PeachClamNine

• Chubby
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 05:53:51 PM »
Why did the Lite version of RPG Maker disappear from the RPG Maker website?

I think they were worried about people pirating it and removing the Lite restrictions. RPG Maker VX Ace Lite is still available from Steam.

If you can't use Steam for whatever reason, here's an older version hosted on download.cnet.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 05:39:42 PM by PeachClamNine »

PeachClamNine

• Chubby
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 10:04:08 PM »
Here is how to do weight gain as an event system, courtesy of mr rpg maker person;

Step 1: Have every food or weight gain spell apply a state called "eating(X) I use 1-5.

Step 2: Have your common event set to check a character for the eating states, and then remove the eating states and increase a variable based on how large the eating state was.

Step 3: Have your common event change a characters picture once the number on said variable has been met. Make sure to add the current weight level as a state, and remove all other weight states

Step 4: Make sure your common event checks to see if you variable has gone over or under your maximum and minimum weight levels, and sets it back to either 0 or your max number.

Step 5: Add whatever fun stuff you wanted. Learn and forget spells based on weight levels, gain and lose access to items, and so forth.