Author Topic: Rule: Useless Posts  (Read 1927 times)

kilif

• Professional Procrastinator
  • Administrator
  • Fat
    • View Profile
Rule: Useless Posts
« on: December 05, 2016, 05:16:05 AM »
I've been deliberating on this one for awhile, but I think its time to make a decision.

From now on, the following posts are no longer allowed:

*Posts explicitly asking for an update (use PMs if you want but not posts)
*Posts saying a project is dead (from users, obviously not developers)

These are not helpful posts, they provide nothing to the developer other than frustration, and I frankly don't like looking at them myself. You will get 2 warnings and then an increasingly long temporary ban for each repeated incident. Permabans will be handed out at my discretion if I feel it is necessary.

Now to be clear, the posts asking for an update do not include those directly asking a developer when an update is going to be rolled out on a developer post about new updates that doesn't specify a date. I think that is a legitimate question to ask and potentially helpful for everyone involved. What I do mean are posts like:

"When are you going to update the game?"

-OR-

"Are there any updates?"

If a developer has updated information, they will give it to you. There's generally not going to be a situation in which a developer has an update and doesn't share it with their users. Therefore, there's no sense in making those posts.

If you have any questions, please let me know.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 12:29:02 AM by kilif »
I'll finish something one of these days!

PeachClamNine

• Chubby
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
Re: Rule #2: Useless Posts
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 05:59:25 PM »
I hope this will go a long way towards enticing meaningful conversations about the games people are making.

Tendra

• Emaciated
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 06:26:39 AM »
Just as a clarification, does this apply to comments on existing threads, or only to the creation of new threads?

kilif

• Administrator
  • Fat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 03:32:10 PM »
Just as a clarification, does this apply to comments on existing threads, or only to the creation of new threads?

This applies to new posts on both existing/new threads.

AdjectiveNoun

• Emaciated
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 08:26:31 PM »
Thank you, it's frustrating to see how rude people can be to creators.

Dohavocom

• Global Moderator
  • Fat
  • Bellymaster
    • View Profile
  • Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/dohavocom
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 01:11:06 PM »
Thank you, it's frustrating to see how rude people can be to creators.
They just have have to know when the next thing is comming or they'll die =P
Remember: Anything is possible when you have tenuous ties to reality.

http://dohavocom.deviantart.com

I have a Patreon. If you like my work, please consider supporting me https://www.patreon.com/dohavocom

avakann

• Chubby
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 06:50:48 PM »
In all honesty I don't mind it as much, probably because I am a procrastinator and it does help me get back on track sometimes, it makes me think "Oh someone wants to know a release day, I should work on it more"
On the other hand if all someone gets is asking for a release day it can get annoying
Nanako will strike and fatten

cheddar

• Emaciated
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 06:05:30 PM »
The issue was mainly the people posting multiple empty update requests across multiple projects and incessantly. It might be reduced if there was a main page for the site beyond the forum, but given our size at present, that's probably overkill.

I would like to see us work with sites with a similar bent (ie tfgamessite.com) a bit more too, but yeah. I would encourage the application of this rule with discretion and avoid going too close to a forum autocracy black hole.

PeachClamNine

• Chubby
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 06:47:48 PM »
In all honesty I don't mind it as much, probably because I am a procrastinator and it does help me get back on track sometimes, it makes me think "Oh someone wants to know a release day, I should work on it more"
On the other hand if all someone gets is asking for a release day it can get annoying

With the size that we are; here's the issue: I come to the website right? I click on "Show unread posts since last visit." I see that a few of my favorite projects' boards have new posts. I excitedly click on them, only to discover it was just a few people going "update?" "Is this dead?". There is no meaningful discussion I can add to the topics  (because I don't know the answers). I close the webpage with a deep sadness in my heart.

kilif

• Administrator
  • Fat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 10:43:24 PM »
The issue was mainly the people posting multiple empty update requests across multiple projects and incessantly. It might be reduced if there was a main page for the site beyond the forum, but given our size at present, that's probably overkill.

I would like to see us work with sites with a similar bent (ie tfgamessite.com) a bit more too, but yeah. I would encourage the application of this rule with discretion and avoid going too close to a forum autocracy black hole.

I would hope you all would know me better than that. I try to keep this place lighthearted, where people don't need to step around rules. You needn't worry about it becoming overly strict. Besides, with the warnings in place, most anyone is most likely ever going to get is a slap on the wrist.