Poll

Do you mind seeing RPs take place on the forums?

Yes, I mind. I'd rather not see the RP posts at all.
4 (13.3%)
If the RP posts are relevant to games hosted/developed on the forums, I don't mind.
9 (30%)
I don't mind the RP posts.
17 (56.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: July 15, 2016, 06:46:43 AM

Author Topic: RPs on the Site  (Read 2020 times)

kilif

• Professional Procrastinator
  • Administrator
  • Fat
    • View Profile
RPs on the Site
« on: July 09, 2016, 10:05:16 PM »
I'm asking this because I'm not 100% on the forum's audience, and I don't want to shift the focus of this site away from WG-based games. Most of the recent posts have been roleplaying posts, which we've seen before with the previous campaigns that were hosted here (non-Anonymously), but I didn't really mind those because they were utilizing a pen and paper game that was developed for WG purposes that has a presence here on the forums. Truth be told, I don't mind now (no one is in trouble, etc. etc.), but I want to know what the rest of you are thinking.

So, I'm going to nip this potential problem in the bud before it gets out of hand.

I've offered three choices:
*I don't want to see any RP Posts. That means any roleplaying posts will be removed, regardless of the content. Updates and discussions of things like Voracious or Nirulea are fine, and more tabletop development is always welcome, but posts detailing actual game sessions will not be allowed.

*I only want to see RP Posts of games hosted/developed here on the forums. Its like the previous option, but would allow posts for game sessions of Voracious or Nirulea (or any other new tabletop that pops up dealing with WG content).

*I don't mind the RP Posts. If you all don't care about RP posts, I won't take any action. Personally, I'm a laissez faire type, but I do want what is the best for the majority of my users.

After 3 days, I'll tally the results and take the action accordingly. If no one votes, I'll assume that means no one cares, and leave things as is.
I'll finish something one of these days!

kilif

• Administrator
  • Fat
    • View Profile
Re: RPs on the Site
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 10:11:06 PM »
Also feel free to leave any comments/suggestions on the matter.

Dohavocom

• Global Moderator
  • Obese
  • Bellymaster
    • View Profile
  • Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/dohavocom
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 11:57:28 PM »
I'm using my right to leave a comment. Comment.
Remember: Anything is possible when you have tenuous ties to reality.

http://dohavocom.deviantart.com

I have a Patreon. If you like my work, please consider supporting me https://www.patreon.com/dohavocom

Kostromama

• Fat
  • Prime Amazon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 01:40:14 PM »
I do use the "Recent Posts" page to catch up on everything that's happened since my last visit, and it IS kind of silly to have to dig through 3+ pages of one-sentence role-play posts to find the forums' focused content.  I didn't mind when it was Nirulea, but part of that is that a playtest of a system is inherently going to be slower and more relevant than a freeform game.

I don't want to prevent people from having fun, though.  Is it possible to just make the Roleplaying subforum not show up in the recent posts display?  I was gone for two days and all ten pages of recent history are Snivy and Buttface.  No idea what I possibly missed before then.

Edit:  Maybe if the Anonymous RP directory was actually a link to a second smaller forum, that would be an easy way to handle it?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 01:46:09 PM by Kostromama »

Dohavocom

• Global Moderator
  • Obese
  • Bellymaster
    • View Profile
  • Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/dohavocom
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 02:20:14 PM »
I do use the "Recent Posts" page to catch up on everything that's happened since my last visit, and it IS kind of silly to have to dig through 3+ pages of one-sentence role-play posts to find the forums' focused content.  I didn't mind when it was Nirulea, but part of that is that a playtest of a system is inherently going to be slower and more relevant than a freeform game.

I don't want to prevent people from having fun, though.  Is it possible to just make the Roleplaying subforum not show up in the recent posts display?  I was gone for two days and all ten pages of recent history are Snivy and Buttface.  No idea what I possibly missed before then.

Edit:  Maybe if the Anonymous RP directory was actually a link to a second smaller forum, that would be an easy way to handle it?

i just use the "Show unread posts since last visit." button on the top of the page
Remember: Anything is possible when you have tenuous ties to reality.

http://dohavocom.deviantart.com

I have a Patreon. If you like my work, please consider supporting me https://www.patreon.com/dohavocom

kilif

• Administrator
  • Fat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 05:51:13 PM »
There's no built in way to remove certain posts/boards from the most recent. There's a mod that supposedly does it, but it didn't appear to work. I successfully got the posts to stop showing up with my own meddling in the code, but it messes up the page navigator in the most recent page.

What I'd like is for members to be able to curate the most recent to their tastes, but that would take a lot more time.

Kostromama

• Fat
  • Prime Amazon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 04:50:41 AM »

i just use the "Show unread posts since last visit." button on the top of the page

Oooh, looky!  That puts to bed any qualms I might have had with roleplaying threads.  Thanks.

cheddar

• Average
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 12:10:53 PM »
If you want t o have a RP section of the forum and do things in it, that's cool as long as it doesn't pull the rest of the site back or is overly obnoxious. I believe there were places for general rp outside the site but given we already have pen & paper rpg stuff, running campaigns here makes sense.

kilif

• Administrator
  • Fat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 10:19:47 PM »
It would seem that most of the people (that voted, at least) do not mind the RP posts. That being said, a sizable number of the votes also would like the RP posts to be relevant to the games being hosted here. I'll mull over this for a bit and perhaps investigate (again) potentially removing some boards from the most recent posts feed. My first foray into doing such has shown that it is not straight forward to simply omit a board (and the mods that claim to do such don't work with this version of SMF). However, there's no harm in checking again.

For now though, since most of you that bothered to respond to the poll don't mind the posts, I won't do anything.