Author Topic: a civ manager  (Read 540 times)

sanity.exe

• Average
  • 404 - [Fat pun not found]
    • View Profile
a civ manager
« on: May 03, 2018, 04:36:13 AM »
just had this one run through my head and I ran with it:

a civ manager - you are the leader of a thriving civilization when a strange traveler visits you seemingly from nowhere, claiming to have an urgent matter to discuss with you and you alone.
you sit down with him and he offers you insight on how to grow your civilization...how to expand it, how to flesh it out, conjuring images in your head of, you guessed it, cities of people weighing their worth in gold. Upon the sight of your beautiful nation/city being overwhelmed by its own fatty flesh, you can...
  • kick him out, having heard enough of this nonsense
  • accept his gift(s)
  • or ask him to leave, having listened to his words and needing to think on them
kicking him out would have you running a spartan-esque society, valuing power and strength, and having to quell fat cultists swayed by the influence of the stranger. you'd run a military, expand your country and hold the values of work and pride above all.

accepting his words and gifts would unsurprisingly have you running a society obsessed with food, drink and pleasure, raising the need to stifle citizens un-moved and even offended by the stranger's influences. you'd run an economic powerhouse, fueling the hedonism and growth of your citizens; an overall "bigger is better" view of both citizens and coffers.

kindly asking the stranger to leave would have a middle ground effect on your people: many would dive into the pleasures of food and flesh, while many would honor the power and dignity of a well toned form. this would have you balancing policies between the fatties and the athletics, trying to keep the two sides pleased and off of each others' throats.

I picture that those resistant to the changes would try to rise up and make their own change. IE: fatties in an athletic society would try to encourage gaining weight, and may go as far as forcing some people to gain weight. this would be inverse in a fat society: there would be a healthy faction that would try to encourage strength and duty, and may force weight loss on some unlucky citizens. with the balanced society, these would only become extreme in rare cases, or when the scale tips too far to one side.

also with a balanced choice, I would like to have the stranger return and speak to you again multiple times, to try to get you to fall one way or another. if you tip too far, they would show up immediately and you'd get the chance to adjust your path or fall fully into one side.

I could make some rudimentary first steps for this, but I'd have to delve deeper into twine than I have before, or keep working on improving my quest skills. I do like this ides though; let me know whatcha think.
Stay frosty.

Tag365

• Emaciated
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
Re: a civ manager
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 09:43:53 PM »
Sounds like a good idea. Anyone interested in doing this?

SelectFilly

• Average
  • Lover of ponies and strategy games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 08:10:36 PM »
Honestly, this seems like it could be a good mod for Sid Meier's Civilization. Not sure how easy it is to mod, but it seems like it could be done... Or, perhaps, a mod for Eu4, CK2 or Vicky 2? I'm not knowledgeable on modding, but it seems like it could certainly be done, with the right mindset. (CK2 might actually work really well for this, just saying)

Also, a fatty mod for a grand strategy game like that would be really fun. It's plausible to do, nonetheless.

As for doing it in Twine, go for it! With the departure of Boundless, we certainly need a new game on that engine to look forward to.

Das_Amigos

• Emaciated
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 11:33:14 PM »
Idea to make this more lets say approachable for developers considering the complexities of development etc.

Take the idea and make it into something like the game Reigns.

Events come up, you make decisions by moving the cards and that changes the levels of things in the civilization.

As a basic game idea you have choices Add to the Fat side, the Fit side or do nothing so choices could add to fat or add to fit, Add to fit or change nothing, add to fat or change nothing.

This way it scales the game down to not having to simulate a whole kingdom as such but keep the idea of kingdom management.

You could have say an option to look round the court or government chambers and see some of the effects.

So say you're in a fat main society all the court women would be fat, in a thin on they'd all be thin and maybe with advisers all but one would be following the dominant thing in society fat or fit. If it was balanced there would be a mix etc.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 06:03:45 PM by Das_Amigos »

sanity.exe

• Average
  • 404 - [Fat pun not found]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 03:20:42 AM »
I'm a fan of that style too; it frees up the gameplay to just decisions and results. I don't think I'd want the endings to come as quick as in Reigns, but it's a good system to compare to.
Stay frosty.

cheddar

• Average
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 11:58:01 PM »
Essentially, this idea/concept works better as a God Game than a straightforward Civ game.Das' points at a lot of the difficulties mechanically, but there's also the question of narrative; why are you making the people fat? Simple answer in a God Game can be one of worship - you're a Deity of Pleasure or somesuch.