Author Topic: Looking to do Commissions, I can build your game!  (Read 1064 times)

kestrel

• Average
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
Looking to do Commissions, I can build your game!
« on: July 24, 2017, 06:59:31 PM »
(I hope this doesn't go against any rules. Whatever I get commissioned will be posted here for everyone to play)

I'll cut to the chase, I'm a programmer who's looking to build games for people for hire. Professionally I'm a freelance web developer, so I was thinking the best thing I could offer would be my skills in web design/programming. The price will vary of course based on the size and complexity of the game, but I want to offer the first few commissions I do at a significant discount.

As far as my past work goes, I wrote a good bit of content for Turris Puesco, some of which sadly never made it to light since the project has gone on hiatus. I also have taken part in a number of roleplays on and off the site, examples of which I can provide on request. Since I know this is a risky proposition I'll offer a no-strings-attatched satisfaction guarantee. I don't get paid until you're happy with the finished product.

As far as ideas go, I'm pretty open to whatever you want to dream up. My only hard rules are no under 18 characters, and no depicting real people without their permission. For celebrities I'd be fine to do parody characters though. Other than that I want to make the game you've been wanting. I'll collaborate with you to make sure the story and characters work the way you want them to.

From a technical standpoint I can think of a few basic types of games that I think would work well as commissions.

The first type of game would be done in the style of a choose your own adventure book, with branching paths where you read a bit and make a decision. This would be the simplest and cheapest type of game to make, although it could be scaled up to something quite extensive depending on length and complexity.

The next type would be interactive fiction. This would be a type of game where you move around, solve puzzles, and collect items. Think Quest or Inform style games. These would be a bit more difficult to make than the simple adventures, but not too much more complex.

Moving up from there we come to what I'll call "simulation games." These are games that focus on the mechanics of eating and weight gain, with some story elements as well. A major feature of these games would be tracking calories, metabolism, clothes sizes, etc. I posted a write-up of some of these mechanics on the programming board with a sample of the kinds of ideas I'd be using. Although I enjoy the little details, I'd also be fine to use a simplified system if you'd rather have the numbers easier to work with.

The next level up from there would be basic RPGs. They'd combine simulation elements with some sort of combat system and even more story elements. This type of game would likely contain collection/puzzles as well so these could be seen as a sort of culmination of the simpler types up to this point.

The final level would be the heavyweight RPGs. These would include lots of NPCs to interact with, complex and balanced combat, procedural loot and enemies, and lots and lots of writing. These would include quite a lot of back and forth, so if you want to go for this tier I'd ask that you check in regularly to see how things are going and give feedback.

There are plenty of other game types out there of course, so if you've got an idea that doesn't quite fit into a category feel free to pitch it to me and I'll give you my best estimate as to what it'd cost.

If this sounds good to you, here's what to do next. Either send me a PM or comment with your idea and I'll ask what questions I need to get you a price quote. If it sounds good to you then I'll get started right away. I can commit to daily progress updates, with feedback welcome at any time. Once it's done I'll submit a final copy to you for approval and once you're happy I'll have you pay me via paypal. Commissions will grant you full rights to the finished game, so long as I can reserve the right to post it here on the forum for others to play as well. You'll receive the full source code and rights to remix/edit/whatever you want to do with it for the future. I'll also host the game for you free of charge, assuming it's not the next runescape or something crazy like that.

kilif

• Professional Procrastinator
  • Administrator
  • Fat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to do Commissions, I can build your game!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 08:14:11 PM »
(I hope this doesn't go against any rules. Whatever I get commissioned will be posted here for everyone to play)

No broken rules here. I applaud the idea and hope someone takes you up on the offer.
I'll finish something one of these days!

Jhalem

• Average
  • Chub
    • View Profile
    • (LGBTQ-friendly) ChubNet Discord Art and Social Group
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 01:35:44 AM »
Ah, I have ideas regarding all of the suggested game concepts you listed, but I don't have any money and not sure where you could fit for the time being.
Unwavering Resolve

kestrel

• Average
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 06:35:38 PM »
Ah, I have ideas regarding all of the suggested game concepts you listed, but I don't have any money and not sure where you could fit for the time being.

What kind of ideas do you have? I'd be willing to make something quick for you if it looks like fun. In hindsight it was a big ambitious of me to offer commissions without proof of what I can do haha. So yeah, anyone with an idea that I could make in a few hours post away!

HyperNova

• Emaciated
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 08:33:06 PM »
will the games be available to all?

kestrel

• Average
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 08:48:02 PM »
Yes they will! I'll post them here as they get done. I'll probably ask for a board once I've got a few made.

Jhalem

• Average
  • Chub
    • View Profile
    • (LGBTQ-friendly) ChubNet Discord Art and Social Group
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 12:47:43 AM »
Would you be using software like Twine, Quest, Inform, or would you be able to make game engines for interactive fiction and RPGs?
Unwavering Resolve

kestrel

• Average
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 04:03:25 AM »
I'm looking to make my own engines based on the type of game. I've got a more-or-less complete weight gain rpg engine I've been playing with and looking to put to use.

The interactive fiction will be even easier to put together in JavaScript, I once made a choose-your-own-adventure style game using nothing but css for flow control.

Saving games will be done through browser localstorage, although if there's interest I could make the ability to download a save file.

fghp

• Emaciated
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 01:37:57 AM »
could you link a game you've made before? So we could see what you're capable of?

SelectFilly

• Emaciated
  • Lover of ponies and strategy games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 03:23:06 PM »
could you link a game you've made before? So we could see what you're capable of?

This. Most people want examples of previous work history, especially if you're going to ask for any dosh.

kestrel

• Average
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 04:16:08 PM »

This. Most people want examples of previous work history, especially if you're going to ask for any dosh.

That's reasonable to say the least. The fact is when I made this post I was going through a bit of a tough time, but I'm doing better now. I'm working on a small game of medium complexity and will post it as soon as it's ready though! After that I'll still be open to commissions, but not in the hurry I was in before.

cheddar

• Average
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 04:45:26 PM »
Yeah, I got that vibe from your pitch. Rpoblem is, you can't feed yourself on niche games alone and most of the members here are likely to be in a similar financial situation. Ultimately, the best way to fund this sort of niche game is by tying it to the audience overall, rather than a single person. And by that, I obviously mean crowdfunding. However, crowdfunding requires preliminary work, marketing and planning to be successful. Online friends of mine tried it for a visual novel they were developing, but didn't really have an effective pitch that reflected the experience and capabilities of their team.

The benefit however is much higher potential revenue for development and potential quality as a result.

My spare time at the moment is going to be really tied up with non-wg writing and tabletop RPG design. However, if you get picked up for something an

SelectFilly

• Emaciated
  • Lover of ponies and strategy games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 06:12:05 PM »
Unt you have a wider audience from what I'm seeing here, then, get a job if you don't have one already. You shouldn't try to live the NEET life if you can't support it.

kestrel

• Average
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2017, 06:27:08 PM »
Unt you have a wider audience from what I'm seeing here, then, get a job if you don't have one already. You shouldn't try to live the NEET life if you can't support it.

I appreciate the concern, but I've got a job now. Honestly I'd probably be willing to collaborate with someone for free at this point, but keeping it commission based is a good way to filter and allow me to be more selective, while making a little money at the same time.

One other possibility is any artists who are interested in working on a game I'd be willing to work with for free, assuming you're decently good. Again, I know I'm an unknown at this point so until I release something I know there's not a lot of incentive to jump at the chance haha.