Author Topic: IF panel at Confuzzled  (Read 525 times)

dingotush

• Developer
  • Chubby
    • View Profile
    • Yaffaif
IF panel at Confuzzled
« on: May 22, 2017, 11:46:27 AM »
I don't know how many here are planning to be at Confuzzled this year (probably a vanishingly small subset of the member here), but I will be there, and it would be nice to meet people in person. I'm also running an Interactive Fiction panel on the Sunday, which may be of interest to those starting out or have stories to share about development.

kilif

• Professional Procrastinator
  • Administrator
  • Fat
    • View Profile
Re: IF panel at Confuzzled
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 05:33:21 PM »
I don't know how many here are planning to be at Confuzzled this year (probably a vanishingly small subset of the member here), but I will be there, and it would be nice to meet people in person. I'm also running an Interactive Fiction panel on the Sunday, which may be of interest to those starting out or have stories to share about development.

Nice. I usually blow my con allowance on FWA. Hope the con goes well.
I'll finish something one of these days!

dingotush

• Developer
  • Chubby
    • View Profile
    • Yaffaif
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 06:33:54 AM »
I did have a good time at Confuzzled, and the panel went well - I was quietly surprised at how many people attended. I knocked up a set of slideware notes and a simple game; one version built in Twine 2 / Harlowe and one in Inform 7 - mainly so I could show what the code looks like and the different ways they play. They aren't WG focused, but I'll upload them in case people are curious.

dingotush

• Developer
  • Chubby
    • View Profile
    • Yaffaif
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 06:36:13 AM »
This is the Twine version of the very simple game (first attachment), and the source (second attachment).

dingotush

• Developer
  • Chubby
    • View Profile
    • Yaffaif
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 06:49:19 AM »
This is the Inform version, which isn't as complete - I ran out of time!
The first attachment is the version for an interpreter. The second is a zip of the Inform-built web page which you will need to unpack and then open the "Most Excellent Adventure - Inform.html" page. The last is the Inform source, again unpack it and open in the Inform development environment.

This is the first time I've built something in Inform, so it could well be better done - I wanted to show what the "not a programming language" code looked like to a room full of people who were mainly writers. I found it to be just as finicky as any other programming language personally - really picky about punctuation - but I'd like to think writers are naturally picky about punctuation anyway.