Poll

What type of pacing do you like in your game?

Slower than a snail - Weight gain is barely noticeable for the first few hours of gameplay
Sand in an hourglass - Slow and gradual but fairly noticeable even in the beginning
A snowball gathering speed and mass as it rolls down a snowy mountain - Fairly fast paced but still leisurely enough to enjoy the process
Speedy Gonzales - Weight gain is in about 5-6 states of fatness with no gradual progression
Deviantart Literature - "and then suddenly (female protagonist) GAINED TEN THOUSAND POUNDS"

Author Topic: How gradual do you prefer weight gain to be?  (Read 1082 times)

HoooBoy

• Emaciated
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
How gradual do you prefer weight gain to be?
« on: March 02, 2017, 04:26:27 PM »
Just curious as to what the communities' preference was.

Gonkulous

• Chubby
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
    • Mutants and Masterminds character
Re: How gradual do you prefer weight gain to be?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 04:30:40 PM »
My tastes vary, but I usually like to see a a slow increase in weight. That said, sometimes sudden rapid gains are fun too.

Kostromama

• Fat
  • Prime Amazon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 05:16:01 PM »
This almost wholly depends on how fun the gameplay loop that feeds (heheh) the weightgain is!

I could go for extremely gradual weight gain is the rest of the game is interesting and varied, but if I'm cycling through the same 5 random events over and over or clicking and reclicking a button for a fraction of a pound each time, it will feel tedious.

kestrel

• Average
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 11:30:58 PM »
I voted for slower than a snail but it really comes down to how you present it. Another thing to consider is that gameplay time is not the same thing as time in-universe, so you could make use of something like a time skip to allow for realistically paced gaining while not making it too grindy.

I think I'm also biased by my overall preferences leaning toward the less extreme end of the scale, more than a lot of other people in the community. My favorite part of the gain is the transition from slim to chubby, a lot of works seem to zoom right past that part on the way to larger sizes.

FatAzureDragon

• Emaciated
  • Smol Fat Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 04:24:01 AM »
I like rapid only if there is a good reason ie. Magic/ Technobable.
I have many names... because I can't decide on just one.

geekdragon

• Average
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 05:09:13 PM »
Slow to moderate is my preference, but I'm pretty good with any rate if the narrative justifies it.

Some of my favorite aspects of increased size include how a character copes with changes. At a snails pace, they can adapt to their body and may remark on only the most crucial landmarks. At a more rapid pace, they spend more time frustrated by the new challenges of mundane things. Too fast, and their experience narrows to rapid incapacitation -- which can still be compelling if handled right.