Poll

Should we do Voice Acting?

Yes, if you can and even if it is one voice
21 (31.3%)
Only if you can get a small variety of voice actors(3-5)
15 (22.4%)
No, no voice acting
31 (46.3%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: [POLL]Voice Acting?  (Read 797 times)

Grotlover2

• Average
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
[POLL]Voice Acting?
« on: January 25, 2018, 01:34:26 AM »
So there has been a bit of discussion between some people following The Farm and even within our dev team if there will be voice acting in the game. If I am to be perfectly honest I never even considered it.

I didn’t think we would be able to even find anyone who would do voice acting for this game, so I didn’t really explore it. One of the devs we have on board that supports the idea said she would love to do some voice acting for us, but I am still not sure. So, I thought it would be fun to test the waters and see what you all think.

A few things to keep in mind is voice acting would only be for the pets. You would be able to turn it on and off. And finally, it more then likely wouldn’t be implemented to way later in the game’s development.

So, what do you all think, if we can do voice acting should we? Do you have any ideas or opinions on this subject? I look forward to seeing all your responses below!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 04:41:01 AM by Grotlover2 »

PeachClamNine

• Chubby
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
Re: [POLL]Voice Acting?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 02:39:02 AM »
Only if it's good. (That wasn't an option on the poll.)

Grotlover2

• Average
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 04:34:47 AM »
Only if it's good. (That wasn't an option on the poll.)

Lol, valid point. I wouldn't let voice acting into the game if I didn't feel it wasn't good quality. Given there is still a lot of unknowns I am just testing the water to see what the interest would be for later in the game's development.

SRP

• Emaciated
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 05:39:45 AM »
My opinion: FUCK no. Voice acting in these kinds of games always ends up with several issues:
1. Costs a noticeable chunk of money, detracting from the game itself.
2. The voice actors are not good, or worse, annoying.
2a- The dev is an idiot, stubborn, or contractually limited, leaving out the option to mute voices.
2b- The dev picks someone with a bad reputation, ex: SexyBlimp/Boomie
2c- The VA's mic is less than perfect and nobody on the team knows how to clean up the voices.
3. Voices with no subtitles so you can't mute it.
4. Dev burns off a lot of time finding/recording/haggling VAs.
5. Dev records voice lines once, does great. Year later, they need some more lines, but their old VA is missing/retired/dead/busy, so they have to find someone who sounds alike (they never do).

Grotlover2

• Average
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 08:05:57 AM »
My opinion: FUCK no. Voice acting in these kinds of games always ends up with several issues:
2a- The dev is an idiot, stubborn, or contractually limited, leaving out the option to mute voices.
2c- The VA's mic is less than perfect and nobody on the team knows how to clean up the voices.
5. Dev records voice lines once, does great. Year later, they need some more lines, but their old VA is missing/retired/dead/busy, so they have to find someone who sounds alike (they never do).

Very valid points, especially 2b, 2c, 4, and 5 (especially 5). We wouldn't spend money on voice actors tbh. if we do ever start raising funds for this game we would rather use the funds to compensate our dev team for their time and commission contractors to fill skill gaps in our team. Also, there would be subtitles and the ability to mute the VA by default as our original plan calls for text not VA. This is something that would be implemented in Phase 6 (can be found in the TheFarmRoadMap.pdf) in our road map, so well after the first version of the game is out.

Thank you for sharing your opinion and views on this.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 08:08:33 AM by Grotlover2 »

SRP

• Emaciated
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 12:46:50 PM »
No prob.

Kenshirosan666

• Emaciated
  • Diamond Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 03:07:18 PM »

Don't know much about SexyBlimp, but I heard her voice in some videos. Why does she has a bad reputation?

PeachClamNine

• Chubby
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 11:03:08 PM »
I suppose if you still wanted to do this; have the engine technically support it (with 'it' being sound clips that can play according to which text is onscreen) but don't bother with trying to collect voice over work. If the stars align and you find someone; great! Otherwise let people mod it in.

Grotlover2

• Average
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 04:40:07 AM »
I suppose if you still wanted to do this; have the engine technically support it (with 'it' being sound clips that can play according to which text is onscreen) but don't bother with trying to collect voice over work. If the stars align and you find someone; great! Otherwise let people mod it in.

That is about the way we are approaching this. We wont even been trying to work on this till phase 6; so we wont be looking at it till after the full release. Just thought it would be interesting to see what feed back on it would be.