Author Topic: The currently unamed stuffing rpg  (Read 134219 times)

cheddar

• Average
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
Re: The currently unamed stuffing rpg
« Reply #330 on: April 01, 2018, 11:49:55 AM »
Without repeating what actual programmers/devs have said here or offsite, there's a number of reasons why RPGMaker is not often used for big projects. The more you try to build on top of the engine, the harder it is to keep it all working as intended. At a certain point, it becomes more work on bugfixing and keeping it in once piece than on the actual game itself. To fulfil a lot of the ideas and features people would like to see in a wg-themed RPG, you would need a different engine to make it all work well.

Imagine being able to take the work on tainted elysium for example, and adapting it for a game like this. I don't know if that is even possible (let alone if atticus would approve/want that at this point in time) but the stuff that project did with good old flash speaks for itself.

cheddar

• Average
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 01, 2018, 11:52:30 AM »
For got to mention - at the end of the day, the biggest roadblock is when you want to include feature x, but the engine only allows you to do y and z. So you invest a whole heap of working doing your best to use y and z to emulate x as best you can... then at some point, what you just did affected feature w... and so on into infinity.

That it also has a jumble of scripts and syntax-y stuff just makes the above issue worse to deal with. :P

Jijado

• Emaciated
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 01, 2018, 10:36:21 PM »
Wow you'd think RPG Maker would suck less after like 5 editions and over 10 years of development. I haven't used the program since XP, but from the sound of it RPG Maker still has the same problems. Though I guess you can only ask so much from a $70 program that lets one person do the work of a whole development team and $200,000.

jimbobvii

• Chubby
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 02, 2018, 05:01:18 AM »
There's a reason why some people still prefer VX Ace - MV was a complete rewrite of the engine, not some sort of incremental update. All the years of Ruby scripting got thrown out the window for a less optimized JavaScript client. Granted, the latter has more portability and compatibility, but performance took a pretty big hit on lower-end machines.

That said, it's still absolutely possible to do unique and ambitious projects with RPG Maker as the backbone, but at the end of the day you're still tied to the core of the engine.

engordoAchicas

• Emaciated
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 02, 2018, 11:04:56 AM »
jimbobvii You are right, there are also many scripts that allow you to do many things more, from Final Fantasy style battles, crafting things or changing the interface.

GothicGabi

• Emaciated
  • Fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 18, 2018, 08:01:54 PM »
This project is precious! I'm really hooked into the story and I'm loving all the sprite work within it, keep it up!

Celestron

• Emaciated
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 22, 2018, 01:16:31 AM »
Before I plunge into this game Id like to know is there more depth to the weight gain aspect? Or is "glutted" as big as one can get? I see the max for the FAT value is 100, but can one up that as you level up to achieve larger sizes? One of the things I look for in this type of content is progressive stuff. Not just a gain/lose weight as needed for a combat mechanic.

GothicGabi

• Emaciated
  • Fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 22, 2018, 11:06:50 AM »
Before I plunge into this game Id like to know is there more depth to the weight gain aspect? Or is "glutted" as big as one can get? I see the max for the FAT value is 100, but can one up that as you level up to achieve larger sizes? One of the things I look for in this type of content is progressive stuff. Not just a gain/lose weight as needed for a combat mechanic.

Glutted is the max size you can achieve via eating but to say anything else about it would be spoiling the game