Author Topic: Idea Board  (Read 1586 times)

UnknownCleric2420

• Emaciated
  • Slowly Growing
    • View Profile
Idea Board
« on: May 15, 2017, 07:45:02 PM »
Ok, I have a few ideas and I thought I'd let everyone else share them here on this board. So, here are my ideas:
-More species/customization for your character. There's more than just Human, Cat and Fox, y'know! Also, including fur/skin color would help for diversity, not just for players but also npcs.
-Customizing your stat growths. If you don't want to manually enter in exp. points into stats like in Noone's RPG (I can't think of any other examples sorry) then just use this and the game would do it for you. I.E. 20% attack, 40% speed, 10% magic, yadda yadda yadda.
-Manually setting the difficulty, such as increased EXP gains, harder enemies, faster WG/TF, that stuff. Each value can be set independent from each other if you want.
And that's it. Is there anything else that you guys would like to add? :3
(Insert witty signature here)

dingotush

• Chubby
    • View Profile
    • Yaffaif
Re: Idea Board
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 10:46:07 PM »
Ok, I have a few ideas and I thought I'd let everyone else share them here on this board. So, here are my ideas:
-More species/customization for your character. There's more than just Human, Cat and Fox, y'know! Also, including fur/skin color would help for diversity, not just for players but also npcs.

I'm absolutely planning to have more species, but I'm holding off until I've finished adding all the transformations from one species to another as these may change the way the various species are defined. You won't have a completely free choice at the start (you will never be able to start as a 50 foot long fire breathing dragon that can toast enemies and then swallow them whole!), but more than there are now!

Fur and skin colour (and fur patterns) are in the game model, but they don't actually get output when you look at yourself or others properly (yet) so I haven't built the elements to customise them. At this stage in the game development there's a lot of stuff that is in there, but isn't apparent during game play.

Eye colour I keep meaning to get around to though, that does get described and I'm fed up of them all defaulting to brown!

-Customizing your stat growths. If you don't want to manually enter in exp. points into stats like in Noone's RPG (I can't think of any other examples sorry) then just use this and the game would do it for you. I.E. 20% attack, 40% speed, 10% magic, yadda yadda yadda.

The RPG style stats in Yaffaif are very broadly based on OSRIC rules, so it won't be the case that you can add points to, say, strength when you level up. Instead your level will impact combat directly. What there will be though is various items, accessories, transformations etc that allow you to increase (or decrease) them. The mechanisms for these are already coded - there just aren't any in game items (again, yet) that have them.

I haven't decided whether to allow some initial customisation. The basic premise is that you start out as a relative nobody, and become the kind of "hero" you want through the course of the game. Be that through adventuring for items, magical means, exploiting transformations, or whatever. I'm not planning to have the traditional tabletop RPG roll-your-chars-stats approach. If I do anything here it will be along the lines of chooseable back story giving some minor advantages and disadvantages.

-Manually setting the difficulty, such as increased EXP gains, harder enemies, faster WG/TF, that stuff. Each value can be set independent from each other if you want.
And that's it. Is there anything else that you guys would like to add? :3

I quite like the idea of having a difficulty setting, but it may just make things too complex. Your weight, transformations, and to some extend the difficulty of the enemies act as gates to different parts of the game. The initial area doesn't really show this - providing that you can still fit through doorways of course, and don't decide to take on the mine occupants bare-handed (which would be fairly dumb).

Anyway thanks for the input, and I'm up for discussing any other ideas.

UnknownCleric2420

• Emaciated
  • Slowly Growing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 02:33:17 AM »
Wow, did not expect such a fast response. Anyways, I understand what you're saying. I just prefer games that cater to your playstyle. That's probably why I liked Zelda: Breath of the Wild so much!  Anyways good luck with Yaffaif! Also what are some of the species you will add? (Marked as spoilers obviously, and not mandatory)

dingotush

• Chubby
    • View Profile
    • Yaffaif
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 09:22:29 PM »
Wow, did not expect such a fast response. Anyways, I understand what you're saying. I just prefer games that cater to your playstyle. That's probably why I liked Zelda: Breath of the Wild so much!  Anyways good luck with Yaffaif!

I'm aiming to have different paths to resolve each of the main quests. That, along with being able to tune your stats with items, should allow for different play styles.

Also what are some of the species you will add? (Marked as spoilers obviously, and not mandatory)
There are a few species that I will need to add because they are part of the story. Because of the way the game works any NPC species has to be fully defined, and then becomes available as a transformation target and optionally a starting race. Then there are others I'd want to add to test functionality. Finally there are others I'd like to do just so I can have them available. Species are built up in a taxonomy, so it's easier to add, say, a new kind of cat than it is to do a reptile.

On my hit list are:
Spoiler for Species:
  • Cow/Bull
  • Centaur or some other kind of 'taur
  • Generic canid and various breeds including wolves
  • Something reptilian - I need a crocodile down the line, but might to another first

I haven't decided whether or not to add non-anthro options like dwarf, halfling, or elf and the like at this stage. Down the line I might run a poll and add the most popular ones first.

Whether something is available as a starting species really depends on how game-breaking it would be. So, no fire-breathing dragons at the start!

UnknownCleric2420

• Emaciated
  • Slowly Growing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 09:58:31 PM »
Ok, thanks! I can't wait until the next update! Keep it up!

firesoul10

• Fat
  • Belly Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 10:28:48 PM »
Hm- perhaps a way to 'taurify? Transform a given race to/from a taur version? I think it'd be interesting. Then it'd be like an existing race, but with a modifier instead  of its own thing. Then it can be modular.

dingotush

• Chubby
    • View Profile
    • Yaffaif
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 03:33:39 PM »
Hm- perhaps a way to 'taurify? Transform a given race to/from a taur version? I think it'd be interesting. Then it'd be like an existing race, but with a modifier instead  of its own thing. Then it can be modular.
I am planning to have taurs in the game, and there are a couple of flags already in place. What I haven't done is actually put in place the modelling of the taur body and legs, or how to handle the transformation, so this won't be an easy add. I do like the idea of taur transformations though.

UnknownCleric2420

• Emaciated
  • Slowly Growing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 07:38:16 PM »
I am planning to have taurs in the game, and there are a couple of flags already in place. What I haven't done is actually put in place the modelling of the taur body and legs, or how to handle the transformation, so this won't be an easy add. I do like the idea of taur transformations though.
Seems like an interesting addition... I'd like to see that in action someday.

firesoul10

• Fat
  • Belly Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 08:58:48 AM »
-the suggestion I'm going to elaborate on in this reply-

What I'd meant would be to adapt the taur system to various races, so that it isn't just "centaur" or "cowtaur" but "-player's race-taur" (Humans should probably default to centaur or something, though. Just saying. :P)

It's not to just write off the groundwork entirely, but to make it a tf that isn't quite as fixed- using traits already in the game to describe the lower half. Things like how it might have paws, or a bushy tail for a fox, as an example. Still have to make the game understand the framework and whatnot- I'm not knowledgeable in the engine. Just my thoughts on the angle.

dingotush

• Chubby
    • View Profile
    • Yaffaif
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 06:26:45 AM »
What I'd meant would be to adapt the taur system to various races, so that it isn't just "centaur" or "cowtaur" but "-player's race-taur" (Humans should probably default to centaur or something, though. Just saying. :P)

It's not to just write off the groundwork entirely, but to make it a tf that isn't quite as fixed- using traits already in the game to describe the lower half. Things like how it might have paws, or a bushy tail for a fox, as an example. Still have to make the game understand the framework and whatnot- I'm not knowledgeable in the engine. Just my thoughts on the angle.

Ah, yes, I understand. I'm shooting for anything-taur, so any playable race will have a 'taur form too. This will easily fit in with the way species are defined. They form their own taxonomy, so once I've done taur forms for anthros in general things like fox and cat taurs will just work as they only add small already-existing changes to the generic anthro.

I've been thinking about the pros and cons of being a taur in the game. Some kind of strength and carrying capacity bonus (right now carrying capacity is already in the game, but isn't being checked) are likely advantages. Disadvantages would include size/weight, and not being able to reach your own genitalia.

At the moment all the transformations conserve mass - so if you get shorter you get fatter, taller and you get thinner. As a 'taur would be much bigger by default it may only be an option for characters that have built up enough bulk to distribute it into the new body parts; so a massive regular character would become a regular weight 'taur.

firesoul10

• Fat
  • Belly Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 09:19:21 AM »
-further clarifying what I meant-

-outlines what he'd like to do with the system-

That sounds fine enough- and I like the concept- though I doubt I'll like it as much when I have to get my character bulked up enough to even bother seeking out the activator!  :P

On a more serious note- don't forget to scale baseline carrying capacity to account for the new taur-weight. It'd be a shame for the increased carry capacity to be smothered by what should have become lean weight.

With that done with, I've expended my entire reserve of good ideas. Best of luck on Yaffaif- Eagerly (and patiently) awaiting the next update!