Author Topic: Separating Games by Intended Audience?  (Read 1778 times)

Lazy Fatboy

Separating Games by Intended Audience?
« on: June 07, 2016, 08:30:58 PM »
Some games are clearly meant for a straight male/lesbian audience, and most others are more bisexual friendly or meant to be enjoyed by everyone.

I'm not sure what they'd be called, because BBW/BHM/Both might not be broad enough terms, but something to organize them accordingly would be nice.

Dohavocom

• Global Moderator
  • Obese
  • Bellymaster
    • View Profile
  • Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/dohavocom
Re: Separating Games by Intended Audience?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 10:10:11 PM »
A tagging system would be more useful than just separating the boards up. Maybe allow a blurb on the main board list as well? Though i think a better easier solution is to have each board moderator make a sticky post explaining the game and what is in it like I've done with the fetishmaster board.
Remember: Anything is possible when you have tenuous ties to reality.

http://dohavocom.deviantart.com

I have a Patreon. If you like my work, please consider supporting me https://www.patreon.com/dohavocom

kilif

• Professional Procrastinator
  • Administrator
  • Fat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 10:52:21 PM »
I won't be separating the boards anymore than they already are, since many probably already feel that the forum is overly organized as it is. I could look into any official tagging support (I'm 99.9% sure there is support for it) as I agree with Dohavocom. Largely, though, I feel that it is up to the discretion of the users to look carefully at the projects and to see if it appeals to them. To that end, I agree and strongly encourage Dohavocom's suggestion for the content creators to write a description of their project and sticky it on their boards.
I'll finish something one of these days!

dingotush

• Developer
  • Chubby
    • View Profile
    • Yaffaif
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 06:20:04 AM »
There are two options that could work (assuming there are no plans to implement a game database like TFGamesSite):

A wiki where there can be a page-per-game and the pages can be added to categories or a page of links to games of a specific genre. Any member can update with the games they find. I know a wiki was on the nice-to-have of Weight Gaming

or

Create a topic for a genre and the OP maintains the list in the first post. Obviously places a burden on the OP.

kilif

• Professional Procrastinator
  • Administrator
  • Fat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 12:12:48 AM »
There are two options that could work (assuming there are no plans to implement a game database like TFGamesSite):

A wiki where there can be a page-per-game and the pages can be added to categories or a page of links to games of a specific genre. Any member can update with the games they find. I know a wiki was on the nice-to-have of Weight Gaming

or

Create a topic for a genre and the OP maintains the list in the first post. Obviously places a burden on the OP.

There's already a wiki setup for the WG Forums, its just not open to the public right now. The main reason being the, I believe, reasonable concern that no one would actually contribute to the wiki and it would make the forums look bad to have a half-dead wiki. We asked, I didn't get much of a response on who would actually contribute to the wiki, so I never opened it up to anyone. But it is there, and already more or less fits the look and feel of the forums.

The second one falls in the same trap, though its probably one that would be more easily carried out.

As to the game database, SOMEONE has to curate it, and I'm not sure if I'm up to the task, between everything else. That would be the best solution in my opinion, however.
I'll finish something one of these days!

cheddar

• Average
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 12:33:03 AM »
The spreadsheet does the job. Other than that, perhaps implementing 'tags' on posts. WG games aren't exactly the most numerous kinda game out there so being ultra-specific isn't really that valuable atm.

dingotush

• Developer
  • Chubby
    • View Profile
    • Yaffaif
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 08:32:09 AM »
There's already a wiki setup for the WG Forums, its just not open to the public right now. The main reason being the, I believe, reasonable concern that no one would actually contribute to the wiki and it would make the forums look bad to have a half-dead wiki. We asked, I didn't get much of a response on who would actually contribute to the wiki, so I never opened it up to anyone. But it is there, and already more or less fits the look and feel of the forums.

The second one falls in the same trap, though its probably one that would be more easily carried out.

As to the game database, SOMEONE has to curate it, and I'm not sure if I'm up to the task, between everything else. That would be the best solution in my opinion, however.

I'll say up front that I'm a big fan of Wikis, having been active on the Portland Pattern Repository many many years ago (before Wikipedia et al). Programmers will probably know some of the patterns and anti-patterns discussed there. The big advantage of Wikis being that anyone can contribute; even if they just add one thing it all adds to the resource. Why Wiki Works. While a database would undoubtedly be cleaner (have the creators input the data for their game?) it's going to be more effort to implement.

If you need someone to seed it, then I may well have some free time!

Also at some future point the games created here will need some kind of walkthrough, npc list, item effects list, and so on. Without it the same questions will be asked repeatedly on the forums. There aren't many places that are prepared to host wikis for fetish material, so Weight Gaming seems an obvious place. But we aren't there yet.