Author Topic: "Just Swell", a WIP semi-realistic weight gain strategy-sim  (Read 19423 times)

geekdragon

• Average
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
Re: "Just Swell", a WIP semi-realistic weight gain strategy-sim
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2017, 04:40:01 AM »
Got a couple more things working this week that I wasn't even sure how to do before. Trying to make sure there's enough variety right from the start to make this thing replayable, even though the scale is becoming ambitious. Then again, the scale of the main character becomes rather ambitious as well...

Still a pile of content just "planned", but I did pound out a bit of writing today. Some dry metrics so far:

66 Twine passages
119 variables declared at runtime

Codebase size: 
December 21, 2016: 29Kb
January 4, 2017: 65Kb
March 30: 98Kb
April 30: 147Kb

85 different observational one-liners that appear based on status/progress. All written, implemented, and always adding more.
32 milestone events, 10 written and implemented so far.
40 different semi-random events planned
7 different "soft endings" planned (which offer a chance to continue play‌ing)
6 different "hard endings" planned

17 different medical conditions planned
5 different supplements planned, two currently implemented
5 different mobility aids planned
10 different types of medical equipment planned, mostly "unlocked" through events.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 04:45:58 AM by geekdragon »

NoNoYes

• Average
  • Accidental co-creator of a rule.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2017, 06:50:48 PM »
Is there at some point where we can test? I can't wait.

geekdragon

• Average
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2017, 08:22:50 PM »
Is there at some point where we can test? I can't wait.
I'm glad people are asking, and it is tempting to release something early...

But I'm still holding off until the game can be played from start to finish, and some missing core functionality gets added. A release a ways off yet.

dingotush

• Developer
  • Chubby
    • View Profile
    • Yaffaif
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2017, 05:26:35 AM »
I'd say release it when you are ready. I do want to try it, but I can wait.

AHumanBeing

• Emaciated
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
Re: Early WIP report, semi-realistic weight gain strategy-sim
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2017, 12:06:55 AM »
I've made some design decisions that may make this game less customizable than some are accustomed to. For example, the current build does not have any RPG-style stats, character selection options, or in fact even a character name. Narrative style is 2nd-person. The person controlled by the player is pretty clearly male. Some of this is down to the simple fact that I don't think the story needs it -- and the rest is the belief that I can make a tighter narrative without more variables. 

Maybe you could rewrite some of the narrative to make the character have a very gender-neutral appearance, so the readers can imagine themselves what the character looks like?

geekdragon

• Average
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
Re: Early WIP report, semi-realistic weight gain strategy-sim
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2017, 03:02:10 AM »
Maybe you could rewrite some of the narrative to make the character have a very gender-neutral appearance, so the readers can imagine themselves what the character looks like?
I've definitely considered altering my strategy on the playable character's gender, but have stayed the course due to additional writing complications and personal stubbornness.

The appearance of the main character is very non-specific, aside from being male and increasingly fat. He has a "Link" complex, with no spoken dialogue. I started out writing this way as a bit of a running gag, and decided to try and keep it going. It might work, and it might fall flat. We'll see.

I concede there are probably many potential players who would usually be interested in female fatties. I figure that a fair number of these players might be convinced to role-play as a fat male if I can make a decent game out of it.

Failing that, there is a secondary female character who is somewhat better defined in terms of appearance, though I have not yet decided on her exact level of "participation".

Nightkey88

• Emaciated
  • Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2017, 09:13:13 AM »
ow man, i can't wait to play this

hedkrakka

• Emaciated
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2017, 01:25:45 PM »
I can see it now. Woman who was helping you fatten gets fat, winds up immobile. You hire an assistant, she winds up immobile. "You know, I'm starting to wonder if I'm a bad influence here..."

geekdragon

• Average
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2017, 03:04:02 PM »
This project is going to have to take a back seat for a little while. Among other things, I'm helping to proof-read an upcoming book by one of my favorite authors: Marc Secchia.

I found his stuff when I picked up the first book of his "Shapeshifter Dragons" series. Turns out he's a stand-up guy who personally answers emails, and apparently even (sometimes) asks bothersome fans who've been catching typos and making critiques if they'd like to look at unpublished stuff.

Anyways, mini hiatus.

geekdragon

• Average
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2017, 08:27:36 PM »
Slowly getting back into action with a bit of scene writing. Crazy how insane my own code looks after I haven't worked on it for a while.

Currently finishing up the writing for a bed-collapse event.

Creak...cre-crack!
The image of a lumberjack calling "timber" flashes through your mind, before blurring into a violent onslaught of sensations. A louder, sharper snapping sound. A split second of weightlessness. Joints screaming in pain, limbs splayed outward with traumatic overextension. A concussive shock, like the snap of a wet towel to all your organs at once. Wild, fatty undulations that seem to take forever to settle. The terrifying realization that your lungs refuse to respond. Pain. Stars. Darkness.

Theking101

• Developer
  • Average
  • Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2017, 12:47:57 PM »
This looks awesome man. Keep on working.

Theking
http://theking1050.deviantart.com/
https://www.furaffinity.net/user/theking1050/

Note: Comments on anything are appreciated.

Feel free to PM me on anything. :)

I have an idea...
Na, it won't work with my limited knowledge,
Sorry

Chrizzm

• Emaciated
  • Unfitness Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2017, 02:35:48 PM »
Slowly getting back into action with a bit of scene writing. Crazy how insane my own code looks after I haven't worked on it for a while.

Currently finishing up the writing for a bed-collapse event.

Creak...cre-crack!
The image of a lumberjack calling "timber" flashes through your mind, before blurring into a violent onslaught of sensations. A louder, sharper snapping sound. A split second of weightlessness. Joints screaming in pain, limbs splayed outward with traumatic overextension. A concussive shock, like the snap of a wet towel to all your organs at once. Wild, fatty undulations that seem to take forever to settle. The terrifying realization that your lungs refuse to respond. Pain. Stars. Darkness.

Oh my goodness, this all sounds right up my ally. Supporting more now than ever!
Trust me, I'm a doctor.
Telegram: @ellisk

Kek

• Emaciated
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2017, 03:47:57 AM »
In which direction do I throw my money?

geekdragon

• Average
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2017, 01:56:16 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement folks. Still tough to consistently make the time for this project, and when I do, I seem to be able to waste hours tweaking a couple paragraphs, or messing with one particular game option. Still puttering along though! I refuse to let this one go quietly.

I'm still figuring out exactly what I'm creating here, but I'm already pretty satisfied with the bits of kink writing. Certainly more of it than I've attempted before. Hell, worst case I'll have pieces to paste together a decent piece of fiction.

geekdragon

• Average
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2017, 06:44:35 PM »
(I'm pretty proud of this little scene. Figured I'd drop it here.)

You feel a certain kinship with Ms. Beauregarde.

You keenly recall the climax of her fantastic ordeal. Relentlessly expanding, hands flailing, limbs forced absolutely erect. Helpless, shamed, and allegedly chastened. You close your eyes, and put yourself in her place. It doesn't take much imagination. You slowly and deliberately roll your wrists, letting your hands sweep against the puckering spillage from your massive forearms. You try to wiggle your entombed feet, taking encouragement from the dull tingling that penetrates the chronic numbness.

Sure, your circumstances are a bit different. There was no experimental chewing gum. No sudden, plot-convenient karmic backlash. You chose this. You've been actively grinding the excess calories to make it happen. You'll never be that idyllic sphere, convenient to push and roll about -- not when your shape is better described as a sprawling, gravity-contorted blubbery mound. An oversized juicer might provide a novel and potentially gruesome experience, but certainly not relief. Not for you.

But you're fine with that.

You flail your hands a few more times, wrists aching with the strain, and idly wonder how much longer you'll manage even that. The comparison with a certain blueberry girl is hardly a stretch, but some stretching can still be arranged.