Author Topic: Open Source RPG References  (Read 1000 times)

Vadric

• Emaciated
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
Open Source RPG References
« on: November 24, 2016, 01:49:49 PM »
So after years of telling myself I was going to try, I finally started to learn coding (mostly in C#). I was wondering if any programmers here had an idea or two for open source RPG code that would be good as a reference. I did try to Google for some, but I don't think I know enough to necessarily tell "good" code from "bad."

There is a great online tutorial that walks you through making a simple RPG step-by-step to get you introduced to the basic concepts and then adds in a few advanced items. I've found that's also kind of the drawback, though. I can put together something really basic with a couple nice features, but trying to do something more complicated makes me feel like I'm running in circles.

I have known enough programmers to recognize that tearing code apart to move/rearrange things is inevitable. I also realize that there are often many approaches to the same thing with their own advantages and disadvantages. Even so, I get the feeling that I'm trying to "reinvent the wheel," as it were. I just feel like I'm trying to take a different approach to the same ideas an awful lot.

On the one hand, it's definitely been a learning experience. On the other hand, I can't help but feel that I'm spending a lot of time where I don't necessarily have to spend it. If anyone has a good point of reference and could share it, it'd be appreciated. If there are a bunch, even better!

Cryptic

• Developer
  • Chubby
  • Is Not Moe
    • View Profile
    • WGRPG.net
Re: Open Source RPG References
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 02:52:19 PM »
The code for my game is open source and up on github if you'd like the link to the repository, though it's text-based and done in web development languages (php, mySQL, jQuery) so I'm not sure how much help it'd be.

Vadric

• Emaciated
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 10:54:49 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on that. If you don't mind sharing, I'd be appreciative. I'm sure it will be helpful. I'm finding that, even across different languages, a lot of the core principles stay the same for object-oriented coding.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 11:06:14 PM by Vadric »

Cryptic

• Developer
  • Chubby
  • Is Not Moe
    • View Profile
    • WGRPG.net
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 01:02:53 AM »

Vadric

• Emaciated
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 01:53:59 PM »
Many thanks! This is definitely helpful. Right off the bat, I picked up some ideas for how to approach the overall setup with classes.